What is CodeGrade?¶
CodeGrade is a blended learning application designed especially for programming education. It makes grading and handing in programming exercises more insightful and effective for students and more efficient for teachers, by providing an online environment carefully designed to specifically suit the needs of modern programming education.
Where programming exercises are currently reviewed in a classical and counter-intuitive way, resulting in only little and vague feedback, CodeGrade creates the missing intuitive environment for reviewing programming exercises.
This is achieved using some of the key-features CodeGrade provides:
- Line by line feedback making it possible to specifically write feedback for a specific part of the code.
- Easy to use rubrics to aid consistent and prompt grading of assignments.
- Built-in code plagiarism detection system using JPlag.
- CodeGrade Filesystem enabling both students to hand in and teachers to access and grade submissions on the CodeGrade system locally without any overhead.
- CodeGrade editor plugins allowing the teacher to easily locally review programming assignments and fill in rubrics using the editor of choice.
- An online environment carefully designed to suit the needs of modern programming education, with a wide variety of useful features.
This is all combined in an online environment that seamlessly integrates in modern a LMS (e.g. Canvas) using the LTI standard. Making CodeGrade both useful as standalone application and as integration in your LMS of choice.
As of writing CodeGrade supports Canvas, but planning on extending LMS support.
The CodeGrade Filesystem (or CodeGra.fs) can be used to locally mount a CodeGrade instance on your computer to browse assignments and files on the server. The filesystem can also be used by students to locally work on the CodeGrade mount and thus automatically hand in the assignment with each save. For teachers the filesystem can be used to grade work without any overhead locally using a preferred editor.
The CodeGrade filesystem is a unique extension of the online learning environment.
More information on installing and using the CodeGrade filesystem can be found in this chapter. The Github repository of the Filesystem can be found on https://github.com/CodeGra-de/CodeGra.fs. More information on getting started with the CodeGrade Filesystem at your institute can be found on CodeGrade.
CodeGrade Editor Plugins¶
Accompanying the CodeGrade filesystem are the editor plugins. These plugins allow for easy and intuitive grading of work locally in your favourite editor. By using the combination of the filesystem and an editor plugin, overhead during grading can be reduced to a bare minimum and all focus can be on the actual grading of the work.
As of writing, there are editor plugins for the following editors:
- Vim (CodeGra.vim)
- Atom (CodeGra.atom)
- Emacs (CodeGra.el)