Use the CodeGrade Filesystem to locally mount CodeGrade¶
The CodeGrade Filesystem is a unique way to mount your CodeGrade instance locally on your system. This provides the teacher much flexibility by allowing to test, review and grade work from students locally, in your favourite editor and using all required tools.
The CodeGrade Filesystem is an external application that has to be installed on your system manually. Please consult the installing guide for instructions on installing the CodeGrade Filesystem on your operating system.
- Open the CodeGrade Filesystem application.
- Select your institution, or select Other to enter a custom CodeGrade URL.
- Enter your username and password.
This is your CodeGrade username and password for the selected CodeGrade instance. Click here to learn how to set up your CodeGrade password.
Optionally set advanced options in the Advanced tab:
- Mount location: Specify a custom location for the CodeGrade mount, this defaults to the desktop.
- Option - Revision mode: Enable revision mode to save and send all additions, edits and deletions in student submissions back to the student as a Teacher Revision. Disable to not synchronise additions, edits or deletions with the CodeGrade server.
- Option - Assigned to me: Enable to only show submissions that are assigned to you. This option only has effect if submissions are actually assigned and you are one of the assignees.
- Option - Latest submissions only: Enable to only show the most recent submission of each student, rather than all their submissions.
- Notifications: Set the verbosity of notifications, default and recommended is All.
Press Mount to mount the CodeGrade server to your computer.
Press the pink mountpoint on the top of the CodeGrade Filesystem to navigate to the mount. In this directory an organised overview of courses, assignments and submissions can be found, tested and reviewed.
With the CodeGrade Filesystem mounted, you have access to all submissions in your courses on CodeGrade. These submissions can be opened in your favourite editor to test, review and grade without any overhead.
Multiple “special files” can be found in student submissions too, these are
generated automatically by CodeGrade Filesystem and can be used to review and
grade code. Use the
.cg_grade file to grade work, use the
file to fill in the rubric (if present) and use the
.cg_feedback file to
write general feedback. Saving these files results in automatically updating
the values on the CodeGrade server too.
In addition to our AutoTest platform, the use of the special files can allow you to locally run automatic grading scripts that write to the special files to synchronise with the CodeGrade server.
Ultimately, to remove the CodeGrade mount, simply press the Stop button or close the CodeGrade Filesystem application.